Tuesday 11 October 2011

SLEEPING ON THE PLANE...ZZzzzzz

I am blessed with the gift of being able to sleep easily ;even my friends envy me cos when its time to sleep, I'm always the first to Zzzzzzz. I sleep without the help of drugs unless I am down with fever or bored, sleeping on the plane or on any moving object can be very difficult especially when the personal space on a plane is about 18inches by 33 inches...no matter the difficulties or limitations, I still think sleeping is one of the most useful skill anyone can acquire....lol.


Sleeping on the seat can be one of the most uncomfortable positions you can ever put your body, and sometimes its painful too. There are a few things that can help sleeping especially on the plane, just make sure you create a conducive environment.

Avoid aisle seats because its always difficult to lean to one side; people are constantly walking up and down, you can't also lean to the other side unless you want to sleep on your neighbours shoulder. Now, if you are travelling with a friend, its okay to lean on them. Sleeping aisle-sitters are always a sight to behold...they usually have their heads, arms or legs  fall into the aisle, sometimes they are draped over the arm rest like clothes on  a cloth line.


No matter the reason for your travel, please be in a relaxed mood, being in a relaxed state always makes  it easy to doze off. Remove your glasses and your contact lenses especially because plane air is dry and sleeping with contact lenses is never fun. Get earplugs to block out noises from crying babies, endless announcements and gisting partners. If music is your thing you might want to create a playlist on your iPod or your media device. Sleep mask is the way to go if you are easily distracted or if you light rays affect you. Window seats are also cool you could lean your head against the window to sleep so your neighbour wont be disturbing you when he/she wants to get up.


Loose fitting clothes is always better because the body expands at high altitude, and the temperature can be very inconsistent, comfortable breathable clothes is best. You could even pack a change of clothes for long journeys, it can be very helpful.


Pillows are stuffs you can bring along on your trip:

  • Neck Pillows: This pillow is worth it because it allows you to lean to either side and still keep your head to yourself.
  •  Travel pillows: You could find a small tray-table sized pillow (throw pillows) that can be folded into a bag, put it on your tray table and off you go. you could also lean forward on the table like you would on a desk, and catch some Zzzzs. Sleeping this way is much like elementary school nap time, its not the most comfortable position but I think its one of the better ways to stay out of your neighbours way.


Its not rocket science, but falling asleep on planes can be challenging for some people. Hopefully these tips will help you drift off to slumber land and put an end to enduring your air travel. Your mileage may vary, and I can't guarantee that you''ll be sleeping like a log the way I do, but utilizing some or all of these suggestions should help you get comfortable and sleep through any flight if you want to.


Do you have your own methods for falling asleep on planes/or any transporting object? Any tricks worth sharing? Drop a line in the comments.

7 comments:

  1. The funny thing is I just have never tried using a neck pillow, and actually laugh at those who do. That is, until my own neck starts aching me from falling asleep at a weird angle. I tend not to fall asleep in planes, except when I am really tired, and I usually travel with my someone I can lean on ... I hate aisle seats too! It's like those hostesses (and everyone else) see you as a target to hit with their carts and "Lord-knows-what-else." I definitely prefer window seats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you serious you laugh at those who use neck pillows?? lol..the real fun to me is those dozing off and their heads hanging in the air, especially when it keeps going back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always try to get the window seat.Aisle seats suck!I just purchased a neck pillow too, looking forward to using it on my next plane ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chic therapy, Thanks for stopping by. Good for you @ neck pillow. I hope u enjoy using it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i will invest in neck pillow.
    I only sleep in the plane when I am really sick, if not I stay up all through long flights watching movies and warding off bad thoughts of plane crash..

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol @ Unveilinggold warding off bad thoughts of plane crash. I feel you on that. It takes a while for me to calm myself when flying especially if there's even the slightest turbulence. Sleeping while flying is soooo uncomfortable for me, cos the space is small and after a while, my legs start to ache me. Will get a neck pillow. That should help a little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Unveilinggold: Neck pillows are pretty good, they work for me well.lol@ warding off bad thoughts of plane crash

    Che:Yea, calming down on the plane can take time true...the leg room needs some improvement yea. I am sure a neck pillow will help you loads

    ReplyDelete